Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fiber group

While taking a local needle felting workshop, I learned that there is a group of fiber artists that meet on Monday evenings in our local community center. See another great thing right under my nose!  They asked me if I wanted to come, so I thought about it and decided if there was time on Monday evening after a long day of work, I would dig out my rug hooking stuff and go.

As it turned out, I made the decision that I didn't want to miss joining this group, so I hurriedly dug through my bins of crafting stuff in the basement and found all of the necessary supplies along with my poor rug that has been sitting for probably the last 3 years.

I arrived and after a brief introduction, I looked around to see that most of the group members were crocheting or knitting.....I do know how to do both, but frankly I am not that good at either.  These ladies just sit and work and chat. It was so relaxing!

I made myself comfortable....got all my wool strips out and ready and then realized that it had been so long since I hooked that I didn't remember how!  I stayed calm and looked it up on my smart phone....so glad to have that along with me! It came back to me just like riding a bicycle. I got into the groove and made a bit of progress on my poor rug. As the conversation flowed the time went by so quickly and I realized that this was great.....I felt like I connected with other like minded people and I felt so comfortable.

The lesson here get out from under that rock. There are great things happening around you and you may not even know it....so don't be shy, start poking around to see what is in your community!  Or if you are local and are reading this post, grab your yarn or wool or whatever fiber work that you do and join us! We have a seat waiting for you....and bring a friend, the more the merrier.

The fiber group meets at the Sherrill, NY CAC from 5:30pm-8pm on Monday nights. You can bet I will be there!
This is my rug that I designed myself....So to all of you rug hookers out there, I know it is not perfect and my rows are not perfect, but it is not about being perfect, it is about de-stressing and connecting with others and just plain fun!

2 comments:

  1. It was great to have you join us! I look forward to seeing you next Monday!
    Sometimes I bring my spinning wheel, other times my knitting or needle felting, in the future I may even bring my weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking me to join Antony!

    ReplyDelete