Sunday, April 7, 2013

Renovation

When was the last time you did a home renovation or any kind of renovation? Maybe you have never done a renovation at all. Well, we are in the process of a home renovation...our living room to be exact.  We decided about 10 days ago that enough time had lapsed since renovating our dining room and that we just wanted to get the butt ugly wallpaper off of our living room walls. The room is pretty large and we had saved it for last, as the task at hand seemed pretty daunting. I will have to say that I do enjoy ripping off wallpaper, especially when it is as ugly as ours was. Of course we were not the ones who made that bad decision to put it up in the first place....I am sure a previous home owner probably just "fell in love" with it and had to have it on their walls!  We are guessing that the wall paper dates back to the late 70's early 80's, so a change was most definitely in order. This old house of ours has probably survived many renovations as it was built in the 1890's. We are just updating it while keeping all of its charm and great bone structure.

We personally, have lived with this wall paper for 6 years and we decided enough was enough....the tobacco stained, water marked paper that was partially falling off had to go!  So with metal scrappers and our handy steamer we began the arduous removal. Just in case you really need to see what it looked like I snapped a few pictures.


Just for good measure I am showing some of the mess this removal made...and you have to believe me when I tell you that this isn't even a sixteenth of the miles of paper we removed.
The exposed plaster walls were in pretty rough shape in some spots. Next up.....patching, patching and more patching! I guess it's a good thing I married a man that can make the walls as smooth as butter, because so far every room in our house has needed his serious skills.
I really hate living through a renovation mess....it gets everywhere. Nothing escapes sheet rock dust! But folks you and I know this mess won't last forever and when the room is completed it will be fabulous. With that being said, I want to transition into a slightly different topic. This topic is about renovation, but not DIY home renovation...it is about DIY personal renovation. I think I have mentioned the changes that I personally have been going through with my creative business and I just wanted to express to you that although you may be afraid of the mess and what seems like unending chaos in your life....renovating yourself will give you a brand new outlook and help you in all areas of your life.
So, as I go through my home and personal renovation, I will keep you updated. Plus this is a great way for me to be accoutable for the actions that I am promising I will take during my renovation.
 
 When was the last time you renovated something? And if you have to really think long and hard about it maybe it's about time!
Feel free to announce some of your renovations in the comments below.....I would love to hear about them whether they are home renovations or personal renovations:)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment